Men's Basketball Takes Cold Spring Battle At Morgan State

Nov. 29, 2010

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Sophomore guard Robert Olson scored nine of his 11 second-half points during a stretch of 1:23 late in the second half to give the Greyhounds a lead they would not give back as Loyola posted a 73-67 road win at Morgan State Monday night at Hill Field House.

After the Bears (2-4) roared back from an 11-point deficit with a 14-2 run of their own that ended midway through the second half, the teams played even for the next six minutes until Olson caught fire. Scoreless to that point, he knocked home a three-pointer for a 63-61 Loyola lead with 4:20 left. Three seconds later, Morgan State's DeWayne Jackson converted a three-point play and the Bears retook the lead at 64-63.

Then, with the shot clock about to expire, Olson made his second straight three-pointer as the horn sounded and was fouled on the play. His successful free throw came after the four-minute media timeout and Loyola led 67-64 with 3:41 remaining. The Greyhounds (3-2) snared a defensive rebound on the Bear's possession and ran the clock down again with Olson again swishing an elbow jump shot with five seconds on the shot clock and just under three minutes remaining for a 69-64 Loyola lead.

Morgan State made three of four free throws on its next two possessions to get within 69-67 with 46.9 left. Again, the Greyhounds worked the shot clock Olson's missed jump shot was dunked home emphatically by sophomore forward Erik Etherly to give Loyola a 71-67 lead with 13.2 remaining. The Bears got two shots at the basket on the ensuing trip up court, but both missed and eventually junior forward Anthony Winbush collected the final rebound of the contest. He converted both free throws for the final scoring of the contest.

"This was one of those "Battle of Baltimore" games with kids on both sides from this area playing as hard as they could," Greyhounds seventh-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said following the win. They're a great team and Todd Bozeman is a great coach so this was a great win for us. We were lucky they missed some shots at the end and Etherly's dunk was big."

After neither team could forge more than a four-point lead in a high-intensity first half, Loyola appeared to take control by scoring 12 of the first 14 points after the intermission to grab a 50-39 lead six minutes into the second half. But the Bears fought back to go on that 14-2 run to take a 53-52 lead on a Justin Black three-pointer. The Greyhounds jumped out by five with back-to-back baskets, but Morgan State continued to force the ball inside and took the lead at 61-60 with its sixth straight free throw.

Loyola showed balance as all 10 players who got in the game played at least 12 minutes and nine of them got into the scoring column. Etherly's game-sealing dunk gave him team-high honors with 14 and freshman guard Dylon Cormier was next with 12. Senior guard Jamal Barney added 11 and all 11 of Olson's points came in the second half. Etherly led the team with nine rebounds while senior guard Brian Rudolph scored eight points with a game-high four assists and two steals.

For Morgan State, Jackson led all scorers with 19 points and Kevin Thompson posted a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Ameer Ali came off the bench to snare 10 rebounds.

The Greyhounds commence conference play with the first MAAC game of the season on Thursday when it hosts Saint Peter's in Reitz Arena at 7 o'clock. A three-game week concludes Sunday afternoon at Fairfield.