Strong Second Half Lifts Men's Basketball Over Dartmouth

Nov. 21, 2010

Box Score

BALTIMORE, Md. - A strong defensive effort paired with a clicking offense helped the Loyola University Maryland men's basketball team outscore visiting Dartmouth 40-26 in the second half to give the Greyhounds their second win in a row on Sunday afternoon at Reitz Arena, 73-59.

Loyola's record improves to 2-1 while Dartmouth drops to 1-3.

Jamal Barney led the Greyhounds with 18 points while Anthony Winbush and Robert Olson each chipped in with 11 of their own. Dylon Cormier led Loyola in rebounds with eight, and Shane Walker and Erik Etherly recorded seven and six, respectively.

David Rufful led Dartmouth with 17 points and Jabari Trotter had 12.

"I was happy to see Robert Olson play well," Greyhounds seventh-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said following the win.  "I thought he played well.  And Anthony Winbush seems to be getting a little better every game.  Everybody is getting onvolved and I like the way we shared the ball."

The Greyhounds outrebounded the Big Green 41-22 overall and shot 50 percent from the floor to Dartmouth's 39.6 percent effort.

After a halftime tie, Trotter gave Dartmouth a 36-35 lead before Loyola seized control of the game.  The Greyhounds scored the next nine points of the game to take a 44-36 advantage with 14:06 remaining. Plays on both ends punctuated the run, including Shane Walker blocking two chances and forcing an altered shot and Winbush scoring on a lob from Brian Rudolph to end the stretch.

The hot hands of Dartmouth went cold to start the second half, shooting 1-for-12 through the opening Big Green possessions.

Dartmouth narrowed the gap to make the score 46-40 with 12 minutes remaining, but Jamal Barney pushed Loyola's lead to 14 with eight straight points, punctuated by a three pointer to make the score 52-40 midway through the half. The senior then drained two free throws on the next possession to extend the advantage to 54-40.

Dartmouth began to climb back primarily from free throws from R.J. Griffin, but the Greyhounds kept the Big Green at bay thanks to a timely three pointer from Robert Olson with four and a half minutes left to put Loyola up by 12, 61-49.

Free throws marked the final few minutes for both sides as Dartmouth attempted a comeback bid. Erik Etherly put an exclamation point on the eventual win with a thundering dunk with 55 seconds remaining, making the score 71-57. Robert Olson added a layup before a Dartmouth bucket to end the game with Loyola ahead, 73-59.

Jamal Barney scored first in the game for Loyola, putting the Greyhounds on the board at 18:20 to cut Dartmouth's early lead in half, 4-2.

The teams traded baskets as Loyola nipped at the Big Green's heels, finally overtaking Dartmouth with a Dylon Cormier three-pointer at 12:19 to give the Greyhounds a 14-13 lead.

The first half saw several highlight reel-worthy plays from the home team, including a J'hared Hall underhanded layup in the lane to extend Loyola's advantage, 16-13, and an Erik Etherly alley-oop from Robert Olson to make the score 23-18 in favor of the Greyhounds.

Dartmouth cut into Loyola's lead down the stretch before tying the game at 31-31. A Shane Walker tip-in at 3:10 off of a Jamal Barney miss gave Loyola a short-lived lead before the Big Green evened the score as the teams ended into halftime deadlocked, 33-33.

The Greyhounds controlled the glass against the hot-shooting Big Green in the first half, outrebounding the visitors 19-9, including an 8-0 advantage in offensive rebounds. Dartmouth's shooting left few chances for rebounds, however, as Dartmouth went 14-for-25 from the floor to shoot 56 percent. The Greyhounds ended the first half shooting 41.4 percent after going 12-for-29.

Loyola hits the road for its next game, a contest against Vermont on Wednesday. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.