Cormier Keys 2nd Half Run In Men's Basketball Win over UMBC

Nov. 17, 2010

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Dylon Cormier led four Loyola University Maryland players in double figures with a career-high 20 points, and the Greyhounds defeated UMBC, 83-72, on Wednesday evening in a cross-town game at Reitz Arena.

Cormier scored seven-straight points during an 11-0 Loyola run midway through the second half that extended the Greyhounds' lead from three to 14.

Erik Etherly tallied 16 points, and Jamal Barney and J'hared Hall added 14 and 11, respectively for Loyola (1-1 overall). Barney also led all players with 10 rebounds. 

"I thought Erik Etherly came back strong after not playing so well Friday night," Greyhounds seventh-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said following the win.  "And in the second half, I thought Dylon Cormier has something very special about him.  Plus, Brian Rudolph came off the bench and really sparked us.  Those three, plus what Jamal Barney did on both ends of the floor, really carried us to the win."

Etherly gave the Greyhounds the first double-digit lead for either team with just under 15 minutes to go in the second half when Barney drove to the basket, drawing three defenders, and flipped a quick pass to his right where Etherly laid it in, making it a 52-42 advantage.

UMBC (0-2) cut into the Loyola lead, reducing it to three, 60-57, on a Justin Fry lay-up with more than 10 minutes to play.

On the ensuing possession, Shane Walker missed a jumper, but Cormier was there to grab the offensive board, and after being fouled, he made two free throws to give Loyola a five-point lead.

Cormier then converted on another pair of free throws and hit a three off an Anthony Winbush assist deep in the left corner to put the Greyhounds ahead 10, 67-57, with 8:39 left.

The freshman pulled down a rebound after a UMBC missed shot two possessions later and made an outlet pass to Brian Rudolph who laid it in, pushing the lead to 12.

Rudolph stole a UMBC inbound pass on the Retrievers' next possession and fed Etherly for a one-handed dunk for a 71-57 lead.

Chris de la Rosa scored for UMBC with 6:03 left, stopping Loyola's 11-0 run, but Walker found Winbush for a three from the left side Loyola's next trip down the court.

The Retrievers led by as many as eight in the first half when they scored 16 of the first 24 points in five minutes of action.

UMBC extended its lead to to seven, 21-14 on a layup by Wertz, but Rudolph knocked down a three from the left side, and Walker hit two free throws to cut the Retrievers' advantage to two with 10:02 left in the first half.

Five minutes later, the Greyhounds tied the game for the first time after Cormier cut down the left side of the lane and laid it in with 4:58 to go.

After the Retrievers missed a jumper on their offensive end, Cormier made two free throws at 4:30 to give Loyola a two-point advantage, its first lead of the 2010-2011 season. The teams traded baskets before Cormier pulled up in transition for a 12-footer to go up four at 2:54.

UMBC pulled back within two, 34-32, on two Chase Plummer free throws with 1:53 left on the first-half clock.

Cormier made two from the stripe on Loyola's next possession, and Chris De La Rosa missed a pair on the UMBC end.

Barney knocked down a three off a Hall assist before Plummer made a layup on the UMBC end.

Hall then drove and was fouled, making both from the line to put Loyola up 41-34 with 24 ticks left in the first frame. The Greyhounds denied UMBC a good look at the basket on the ensuing possession, and the Retrievers settled for a long Travis King 3-pointer with Robert Olson's hand in his face. The shot clanged off the front of the rim, and Loyola took a seven-point advantage to the locker room.

Travis King led UMBC with 22 points.

The Greyhounds end a three-game home stretch to open the season Sunday when they host Dartmouth at noon in Reitz Arena.