Tennessee State Rallies To Beat Men's Basketball On Opening Night

Nov. 13, 2015

Final Stats | Photo Gallery 

BALTIMORE - Tennessee State University scored 21 of the game's final 27 points to rally past Loyola University Maryland for an 86-71 men's basketball victory in a sold-out Reitz Arena.

The Tigers (1-0) held the Greyhounds (0-1) without a field goal for the final four minutes, 21 seconds of the contest and shot 59.3 percent from the field in the second half themselves.

Wayne Martin scored 27 points and had 21 rebounds for Tennessee State. The junior college-transfer made 10-of-15 shots from the floor and all seven of his free-throw attempts.

Loyola raced out to a nine-point lead, 18-9, 5:16 into the game with Tyler Hubbard scoring half of the Greyhounds' point in the stretch. Tennessee State, after going up, 9-7, at the 18:04 mark on a Tahjere McCall layup, did not score again for 6:02. The Tigers turned the ball over four times and missed all three of their shots in the stretch.

A Hubbard layup with 10:43 left pushed the Greyhounds' advantage back to nine, 22-13, but 2:29 later, a Keron DeShields jumper in the paint pulled the Tigers back within two, 22-20.

Tennessee State tied the game three times over the next six-plus minutes and led 34-32 on a Martin layup with 1:45 to go in the first half. Hubbard's fourth three of the half, however, put the Greyhounds back up one. Jarred Jones made 1-of-2 free throws with 53 ticks left, and the Greyhounds clung to a 36-34 advantage.

Martin, however, tied the score 25 seconds later, and the teams went to the locker room knotted at 36-36.

Eric Laster gave the Greyhounds a 43-41 lead with a layup following a strong post move at 17:50, but the advantage would be short-lived as Christian Griggs-Williams tied the game on a 15-foot jumper from the short-corner.

The Tigers pulled ahead by six, 51-45, on a McCall layup with 15 minutes to play, but Loyola scored the next six, and Jones tied the game with a free throw 57 ticks later.

Loyola could not pull back in front, but Tennessee State would not lead by more than three after the 51-51 tie. A Franz Rassman free throw for Loyola with 6:22 on the clock deadlocked the game for the 14th time, but Loyola made only one more field goal in the remainder of the game.

Hubbard led Loyola with 21 points, scoring 18 in the first half, to pace four Greyhounds starters in double-figures. Laster added 17, 13 in the second half, while Jones and Andre Walker had 14 and 13 points, respectively. Walker also had five assists and four steals.

The sellout crowd was the Greyhounds' first since Nov. 9, 2012.

The Greyhounds return to action on Monday, Nov. 16, when they host Long Island University Brooklyn at 7:30 p.m.