Rally Falls Short For Men's Basketball In MAAC Quarterfinals

March 10, 2013

Final Stats

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Dylon Cormier converted a three-point play with a layup and free throw with 2:42 left on the clock to pull third-seeded Loyola University Maryland within a point, but four Greyhounds shots thereafter went off the mark, and Manhattan College finished off a 55-52 victory in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Quarterfinals on Saturday night in the MassMutual Center.

Cormier cut through the lane and was fouled by Manhattan's Rhamel Brown as his shot went through the basket with 2:42 left in regulation. He hit the free throw to make it a 53-52 Jaspers' lead, the closest Loyola (21-11 overall) had been since the second minute of the game.

Erik Etherly stole a Manhattan entry pass to the post on the next possession, but Brown this time cleanly blocked Cormier's shot, and the Jaspers (13-17) took possession with less than two minutes remaining.

A RaShawn Stores three misfired with 69 ticks left, and Robert Olson grabbed the rebound for the Greyhounds

With the shot-clock winding down to less than two, a Cormier three was long, but Olson got the offensive board. He then missed a 15-foot baseline jumper, but he again came away with the offensive board with just over 10 second remaining.

Loyola got the ball into the paint for a final shot, but Etherly's attempt missed, and Stores pulled out the rebound for Manhattan, was fouled and made two final free throws.

Cormier finished with a game-high 14 points and team-best seven rebounds for Loyola, and Anthony Winbush scored 12 to go with six rebounds.

Manhattan led the entire game and went up by 13, 18-5, just 7:26 into the game. Loyola, then trailed 31-20 after a Shane Richards three with 3:32 to go before the break, but Loyola scored 10 of the first half's final 13 points to get within four, 34-30 at halftime.

Loyola scored only three points in the first 6:35 of the second half, all by Winbush, and Roberto Colonette made it 47-33 Jaspers with 13:25 left in regulation. The 14-point margin was Manhattan's largest of the game.

After two Colonette free throws at 10:54 put the Manhattan lead at 12, 49-37, Loyola scored seven straight to get within five, 49-44, on a Cormier layup at 6:49.

Just over two minutes later, two Stores free throws pushed the Jaspers' lead back to seven, but Olson knocked down his second three of the game at 4:38 to pull Loyola within four. Stores' free throws at 4:47 were the last Jaspers points until he hit two from the line with just over three seconds on the clock.

Brown was the only Manhattan player to score in double figures, and he finished with a double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds.