Fairfield Sweeps Greyhounds With 67-59 Victory At Reitz Arena

Feb. 11, 2007

Final Stats

Baltimore, Md. - The Loyola Greyhounds fell to the Fairfield Stags Sunday afternoon at Reitz Arena by a final score of 67-59. With 35 seconds remaining and Fairfield in the lead 63-59, a missed shot by the Stags resulted in an offensive rebound. With time winding down Loyola had no choice but to foul Fairfield guard Mike Van Schaick. Van Schaick connected on both free throws to make it a six-point game. On Loyola's next possession the `Hounds turned it over and a dunk by Anthony Johnson ended any hope for a comeback.

The loss drops Loyola out of first place with a 10-5 MAAC record and 14-11 overall. The victory for the Stags gives Fairfield a 9-6 conference record and improves them to 11-16 on the year.

"We're really injured right now, but I am proud of the way our kids fought back," third-year head coach Jimmy Patsos commented of the effort. "It is going to be a grind down the stretch. We gotta get healthy and try and win as many games down the stretch as we can."

Inconsistent shooting plagued both teams in the first half as Loyola shot 27.3 percent and the Stags 34.6 percent. Loyola went eight-plus minutes without a field goal and Fairfield took advantage with a 10-1 run to open a 13-point lead, 24-11. Loyola answered and finished the half on a 9-1 run, helped by sophomore guard Marquis Sullivan's pair of threes, as Fairfield failed to score a field goal in the final 6:30 of the period. Junior guard Gerald Brown led the way for the `Hounds with 10 points in the first half as Loyola trailed at intermission, 24-20.

Fairfield used hot shooting (52.6 percent and five of seven from downtown) in the second half to build a double-digit lead over Loyola. With the score 53-36, the `Hounds used a 6-0 run to cut the lead to 13. Loyola used another 6-0 run with under five minutes to play as they made six straight free throws to bring the score to 58-48. Missed free throws by the Stags left the door open for Loyola and one final push by the Greyhounds, a 9-2 spurt, brought the score to 63-59 before Fairfield sealed the game.

Junior forward Omari Isreal led the way for Loyola with 13 points and five rebounds. Freshman point guard Brett Harvey added 11 points while Brown was held to just 12.

Van Schaick led all scorers with 26 points and shot 4-7 from three. Johnson tallied 15 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Stags.

The Greyhounds return to action on Wednesday night for their final home game of the season against Rider.