Army Escapes Reitz Arena With Win Over Men's Basketball

Feb. 1, 2014

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - The U.S. Military Academy used an 18-2 run that spanned more than four and a half minutes, and the Black Knights overcame Loyola University Maryland for a 77-71 Patriot League victory on Saturday afternoon in Reitz Arena.

A Jarred Jones layup with 6:42 left in regulation gave the Greyhounds (9-12 overall, 4-6 Patriot League) a 57-53 lead, but Army (11-10, 7-3) scored the next 12 points and 18 of 20 to go ahead 71-59 with 1:46 to play in regulation on two Kyle Wilson free throws.

Army made just three field goals, although two were from behind the 3-point arc, during the run, and the remaining 10 points came from the free throw line. The Black Knights had a 33-23 advantage in foul shots, although Loyola again struggled to convert at the line, making just 11 of its attempts.

Wilson finished with a game-high 25 points, and Kevin Ferguson added 15 for the Black Knights.

Jones made 7-of-10 field goals and tallied 17 points along with three blocked shots and two steals off the bench for the Greyhounds. Dylon Cormier added 14, and R.J. Williams had 10 points along with nine assists.

The Black Knights scored the game's first six points and did not allow a Loyola basket for nearly four minutes, but after Jones scored at 16:04, Cormier converted on two fast-break opportunities off Greyhounds steals.

Loyola took the lead just over six minutes into the game, and the Greyhounds extended the advantage to seven on two Eric Laster free throws with 4:16 left before the break.

Army, however, scored seven of the next nine and tied the game at 31-31 on a Ferguson layup, but a Nick Gorski three and a Cormier rebound and fast-break basket helped Loyola lead by three, 36-33, at halftime.

The teams traded baskets for the first 2:30 of the second half before Jordan Latham had an offensive rebound and basket at 17:24, and Cormier made two free throws with just over 17 minutes left, pushing the lead to 44-37.

That was as large as the Greyhounds' advantage would be during the second half. Army tied the game twice over the next 11 minutes before knotting it again at 57-57 with 5:54 remaining on a Ferguson free throw. He hit the second of two at the line in that series and gave Army a lead it would not relinquish.

The Black Knights lead grew to 12, 71-59 on Wilson's free throws, but Loyola scored eight of the next nine points to get within five, 72-67, on two Williams free throws with 26 ticks left on the clock.

On the ensuing inbound pass, Latham stole a Wilson pass at halfcourt and found Williams on the right wing. Williams launched a three that rattled in with 18 seconds remaining, and Loyola was within two, 72-70.

Army would go 6-of-7 from the free-throw line from that point to close the win.

The Greyhounds continue their brief homestand on Wednesday, February 5, with a 7:30 p.m. game against American University in Reitz Arena.