Men's Basketball Survives Last-Second Shot To Collect 72-71 Win

Siena's Kenny Hasbrouck missed three jump shots inside the final 23 seconds of the contest including a baseline jumper as the horn sounded as Loyola put forth two defensive stops to preserve a 72-71 MAAC victory Monday night over the Saints at Reitz Arena.

The win increases the Greyhounds' first-place lead in the conference standings as they improve to 9-2 in the MAAC and 13-8 overall. The loss drops Siena to 6-5 in conference play and 11-10 overall.

"We're short-handed right now and I asked our guys to rebound and they did," third-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said of the team's effort. "They [Siena] are one of the programs we are trying to follow as much success as they have had over the years. Our student body was great and it was good to get the win at home."

With 1:32 remaining and the game knotted at 70, junior guard Gerald Brown was fouled after grabbing an offensive rebound from his own miss. Brown connected on both of his free throws at the charity stripe to give the `Hounds a two-point lead. On Siena's next possession, Loyola junior forward Omari Isreal fouled Saints forward Alex Franklin on the floor. Franklin hit one of two free throws and Loyola grabbed the loose ball to gain possession.

A Loyola turnover handed the ball back to Siena, but Hasbrouck missed a three-pointer as the Saints failed to capitalize on Loyola's mistake. As the clock continued to wind down, Siena grabbed a defensive rebound to give the Saints one last chance with 12 seconds left. Following a time out, Hasbrouck missed an elbow jumper with five seconds left and Siena's Ronald Moore tracked down the rebound and called time out with 0.9 seconds remaining. The in-bounds pass went to Hasbrouck on the baseline in front of Siena's bench and his attempt hit the rim, caromed off the backboard and fell harmlessly as the horn sounded.

Siena jumped out to a quick start scoring the game's first seven points off three Loyola turnovers. The Greyhounds struggled from the field in the first half, shooting only 35.5 percent, but hot three-point shooting by sophomore guard Marquis Sullivan (5-10) kept Loyola in the game. The `Hounds ended the half on a mini 8-4 run to bring the deficit to 36-34 at intermission.

The second half was a see-saw affair in a game of runs. Loyola jumped out to a 49-44 lead as Brown and Isreal combined to score 13 out of the 15 points. Siena responded with a 9-2 run to and the Saints' lead was four. Loyola came right back with a 9-2 run of their own and the back and forth action continued until the game was tied at 70.

Sullivan led the way for the Greyhounds scoring 20 points and shooting 50 percent from downtown. Both Brown and Isreal collected double-doubles as Brown scored 18 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. Isreal totaled 12 points, 12 rebounds and swatted four Siena shots.

"Gerald didn't have the type of night shooting as we are accustomed to because I asked him to rebound," Patsos added. "Gerald Brown can rebound when he wants to and we needed that from him tonight. It was good to get the win at home after losing two in a row and maybe we can start to get a little separation from the rest of the pack [in the league standings]."

Edwin Ubiles finished with 16 points for the Saints while Hasbrouck had 15. Michael Haddix finished with 14 points and shot 8-10 from the free throw line.

The `Hounds look to continue their success when they hit the road this Saturday to take on Marist.