Men's Basketball Comeback Comes Up Short Against Saint Peter's

Jan. 28, 2006

Box Score

JERSEY CITY, N.J. - Despite a game-high 23 points and nine assists from senior guard Andre Collins, the Greyhound men's basketball team was unable to overcome an early run in the second half by Saint Peter's College and suffered a tough 76-74 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference setback against the Peacocks at the Yanitelli Center on Saturday afternoon.

Loyola opened the game with an 11-4 spurt in the game's first 4:35 as sophomore Freddie Stanback scored six points to lead the charge. After the Peacocks scored back-to-back three-pointers to cut the deficit to 11-10, the Greyhounds countered with a 6-0 run of their own to extend the cushion back to six at 17-10.

The Greyhounds used six three-pointers in the first half, including two by Stanback and senior guard Andre Collins, to take a three-point lead into the locker room. Collins led all scorers with 11 first half points while Stanback had eight points.

In a match-up between the two top scorers in the conference, the Peacocks overcame the halftime deficit by going on an 18-3 run in the first 5:23 of the second half to take a 58-45 advantage. Senior guard Keydren Clark scored six of the 18 points during the spurt for the Peacocks.

Down by 63-49, the Greyhounds cut the deficit down to 65-59 with a 10-2 spurt, which included five points from Collins, with 10:02 remaining in the period. Loyola added another 7-2 spurt over the next three minutes to cut the Saint Peter's lead to 67-66 on a lay-up by sophomore Brad Farrell.

After Todd Sowell extended the lead back to three, Collins was fouled on a three-point attempt. The conference leader in free throw percentage, Collins hit all three free throws to tie the score at 69-69 with 5:40 left.

Saint Peter's went on a quick 6-0 run to take a 75-69 lead with 3:00 remaining before the Greyhounds began their valiant comeback attempt. Junior forward Hassan Fofana scored with 1:28 remaining before Collins hit a jumper with 40 seconds left. Clark hit one of two free throws to extend the lead to 76-73.

With 28 seconds remaining, the Greyhounds had a chance to tie the game, but Loyola missed four shots from the floor before junior Shane James had a chance to tie the game after being fouled by Clark. He made the first free throw to cut the deficit to 76-74, but missed the second shot and Clark grabbed the rebound to seal the victory.

Collins was one of three Greyhounds to score in double figures as Stanback returned to the starting lineup and scored 11 points. Sophomore Greg Manning came off the bench to score a career-high 10 points in the second half.

Clark, who entered the game as the second-leading scorer in the conference, had a team-high 21 points to lead four Peacocks in double figures. Raul Orta added 20 points and four rebounds in the victory.

It was the Peacocks' seventh straight win in the series.

The Greyhounds, who have lost four of their last five games, return to action on Monday night when they travel to Marist College to face the Red Foxes at 7:30 p.m.