Guards Lead Men's Basketball To 73-72 Win At Marist

Jan. 25, 2009

Final Stats

Poughkeepsie, N.Y. - Junior guard Brett Harvey sent the game to overtime with his buzzer-beating three-pointer and sophomore guard Jamal Barney scored eight of his game-high 26 points in the extra session including the game-winning layup with 6.4 seconds remaining to lead Loyola to its fifth straight victory, a 73-72 MAAC road victory at Marist. It was Loyola's fourth consecutive overtime victory in the last three years for the Greyhounds.

After Marist's Ryan Schneider gave the Red Foxes a 63-60 lead with 6.1 seconds left in regulation, Harvey took a handoff from sophomore guard Brian Rudolph and rattled in a 35-footer as the final horn sounded to knot the score at 63 and send the contest to the extra period.

In the overtime, Barney and Marist's Kaylen Gregory traded points with Barney's free throws with 46.6 left giving Loyola a 71-70 advantage. Schneider was fouled with 19 seconds left, making both to return the lead in Marist's favor, 72-71. Following Loyola's last time out, Rudolph found Barney on the left baseline and the Baltimore product drove in for a layup and the final basket of the game. Marist's R.J. Hall took the inbounds and drove the length of the court, missing a left-handed layup and the rebound was unable to be recovered as the final horn sounded.

"This team has fought really hard since our loss at Saint Peter's," Greyhounds fifth-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said of his team's fifth consecutive victory. "Gary Williams taught me to have your best shooter take the ball out and then try to find him because they always forget about the in-bounder. I asked Brett if he took it out, could he get it back and then get off a shot. He told me he would make it. Brett Harvey continues to be one of the mentally toughest players I have ever coached. And what can you say about Jamal Barney - 26 points and the game-winning layup."

The game featured 16 lead changes and there were four ties during five minutes between the end of regulation and the start of the overtime. Loyola (10-12, 5-5 MAAC) scored the final six points of the first half and the first basket after the intermission for its largest lead of the contest at 32-24. The Red Foxes (7-15, 3-7 MAAC) would go on a 28-13 run to grab a seven-point lead at 52-45 with 7:28 left, the largest Marist edge in the contest.

Loyola would respond to that with a 13-5 stretch of its own, grabbing a 58-57 lead on a three-pointer from senior guard Marquis Sullivan with 2:37 left in regulation. Gregory hit a three-pointer of his own for a 61-58 lead with 72 ticks remaining, setting the stage for the regulation finish.

Barney combined a game-high eight rebounds with his game-high 26 points and also led all players with three steals. Both he and Harvey (19 points) were a perfect 10-for-10 from the free-throw line as the Greyhounds made all 14 of their foul-shot attempts after the intermission and held a decisive 42-29 rebounding advantage. Junior forward Jawaan Wright made both of his free-throw attempts in the overtime and also called for a time out after coming away with the ball following a scramble in front of the Loyola bench to set up Barney's final overtime free throws. The win was the first for the Greyhounds at Marist since January 1999 and their first sweep over the Red Foxes since Marist's first season in the league in 1998.

Gregory finished with 23 points off the bench to lead the Red Foxes and Schneider added 21, including 11-of-12 from the foul stripe. David Devezin (12 points) and Korey Bauer (10 points) gave Marist four double-figures scorers. The Red Foxes shot 61.9 percent (13-21) in the second half, including making three of their five three-point attempts after making just one of nine in the first 20 minutes.

The Greyhounds continue a three-game road stretch with a pair of road conference affairs next weekend, visiting Rider on Friday and Fairfield on Sunday. Both games are being televised with the game with the Broncs on ESPNU starting at 9 o'clock and the rematch with the Stags being seen locally on MASN at 2:00 p.m.