Late Defensive Push Falls Short As Colgate Edges Men's Basketball

Jan. 24, 2015

Final Stats

HAMILTON, N.Y. - Colgate University did not score on a field goal for nearly 10 minutes, but Damon Sherman-Newsome's runner with 14.3 seconds left provided the difference as the Raiders edged Loyola University Maryland, 59-58, on Saturday afternoon in Patriot League play.

Alex Ramon put Colgate (9-12 ovearll, 6-2 Patriot League) up 51-38 with a basket at 10:00 in the second half, but the Greyhounds did not allow another field goal until Sherman-Newsome's late bucket.

Loyola (7-12, 3-5) went on a 20-5 run to take a late lead on an interior basket by Eric Laster with 1:31 left.

Twenty seconds later, Loyola was whistled for a hand-check call more than 15 feet from the basket, and Sherman-Newsome made 1-of-2 to pull Colgate within a point, 58-57, at 1:11.

The Greyhounds, however, could not capitalize on their next possession, turning the ball over with the shot clock under five. Sherman-Newsome drove the left side of the lane and laid in the eventual winning basket.

Loyola has 14.2 seconds of possession, but Laster's final shot was blocked by Matt McMullen to preserve the Raiders' win.

Colgate attempted just 11 field goals in the second half, making eight, but it had 12 turnovers after halftime, six during the Greyhounds' 20-5 run.

Laster scored a game-high 20 points, and Andre Walker added 16 for the Greyhounds. Sherman-Newsome tallied 16 for Colgate, while McMullen had 12 and Ethan Jacobs added 11.

The Raiders led 33-26 at the half, and while Loyola quickly cut its deficit to three in the second half's first three minutes, Colgate threatened to pull away as it built a 13-point advantage with more than half of the stanza remaining.

After Ramon's layup made it 51-38 Colgate, the Raiders scored its next five points on free throws as the Greyhounds made their run.

Denzel Brito, who scored all six of his points in the game's last five minutes, tied the score at 56-56 with 4:23 left in regulation. Laster's offensive rebound and putback at 1:31 gave Loyola its first lead since it was up 2-0 to start the game.

The Greyhounds are back in action on Wednesday, Jan. 28, when they return to Reitz Arena for a 7:30 p.m. game against College of the Holy Cross.