Greyhounds Never Trail in 80-64 MAAC Win At Marist

Jan. 23, 2010

Final Stats

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Junior guard Brian Rudolph led four Greyhounds double-figure scorers with a season-high 18 points and Loyola never trailed as it defeated Marist for the second time in nine days with an 80-64 MAAC road win Saturday night.

"I like coming here to play and we have been fortunate to win here two games in a row," Greyhounds sixth-year head coach Jimmy Patsos said following the win. "It was a good team effort. I told our team that the rebounding stats would tell the story and that was true tonight. They have some real good shooters and made some threes, but I thought we came out at the start of the second half with a little more energy and that carried us to the end."

Loyola (10-10, 3-7 MAAC) scored on its first three possessions to jump out 7-2 and held a 25-14 lead 6:42 into the contest after a conventional three-point play by senior guard Brett Harvey, who played for the first time in five games. Consecutive Harvey baskets three minutes later gave the Greyhounds a 31-17 advantage with 10:27 left until the intermission.

The Red Foxes ended the half on an 11-4 run and trailed 41-35 at the half. Marist completed a 21-11 stretch to pull within 46-43 with 16:32 remaining. On Loyola's possession, a tie-up gave the ball back to the Greyhounds and during the ensuing scuffle, Marist's Dorvell Carter was whistled for a technical foul. Loyola freshman guard Robert Olson converted both free throws and then drained a three-pointer on the subsequent possession for a 51-43 Greyhounds lead with 15:49 left.

The sequence sparked a 16-4 Loyola run which culminated on two free throws by senior guard Tony Lewis as the Greyhounds built their largest lead of the game to that point at 62-47 with just over 10 minutes remaining.

Marist (1-19, 1-9 MAAC) twice got its deficit into single digits, the last time at 65-57 with 5:40 remaining. But Loyola scored 15 of the game's next 17 points, making nine of 10 from the free-throw line to eventually build its largest lead of the game at 80-59 on a Lewis layup with 46 ticks remaining.

The Greyhounds shot 48.2 percent (27-56) for the game and held a sizeable 40-29 rebounding advantage. Loyola also won the battle of bench scoring by a 28-12 count with all of the points coming from seniors as Jawaan Wright tallied 11 points with seven rebounds, Harvey scored nine and Lewis eight. After Rudolph's 18 points, Olson finished with 15 and sophomore guard J'hared Hall chipped in with 12.

Marist was led by 21 points and seven rebounds from Korey Bauer. Devin Price scored 12 points with five assists and Carter added 11 off the bench.

A three-game road trip over seven days complete, the Greyhounds return to Reitz Arena on Thursday when they host Fairfield at 7 o'clock.