Harvey Keys 13-3 Second-Half Run In 83-73 Win Over Marist

Jan. 18, 2009

Final Stats

Baltimore, Md. - Junior guard Brett Harvey contributed eight points during a 13-3 second-half run to snap a 57-all tie with 10:25 remaining and Loyola put five players in double figures during an 83-73 MAAC home win over Marist Sunday afternoon at Reitz Arena. The win was the third straight for the Greyhounds.

Harvey started the run by making a three-pointer with nine minutes left. He followed that with a fast-break layup and then finished his scoring contribution by converting a conventional three-point play on a 13-footer as the shot clock was expiring and the ensuing free throw. Sophomore guard Jamal Barney capped the run with a 14-foot baseline jumper to give Loyola a 70-60 lead with four minutes remaining. Marist scored five straight to close within 73-68 with 2:11 left, but freshman forward Anthony Winbush made both ends of a one-and-one with 1:25 left to start a string of eight straight Greyhounds foul shots.

Loyola might not have been in the position it was in if not for the first-half efforts of Jawaan Wright. The junior forward had scored just six points in the last six weeks, but he made all four of his shots from the field and five of his six free-throw attempts to score a career-high 13 points while equaling his career-best with eight rebounds all before intermission. He was helped by nine points in the half from sophomore guard Brian Rudolph. That tandem would score just two points the remainder of the game, but their efforts were monumental toward the cause.

"Jawaan Wright didn't play that much in the second half, but he won the game for us," Greyhounds fifth-year coach Jimmy Patsos said after the game. "All different guys are stepping up and scoring in different roles. This team has decided to unite which means everyone has accepted his role and is doing what it takes to get a win."

The Greyhounds (8-12, 3-5 MAAC) would not be headed in the second half, although the game was tied three times. Each time Loyola answered with a basket, taking the lead it would not relinquish on Harvey's three-pointer at the nine-minute mark. Harvey scored all 13 of his points in the second half and Barney tallied 17 of his game-high 22 points after the intermission, including 11 in the final four minutes and the last six of the game.

Leading by one in the first half, Loyola would score 10 of 12 points over a four-minute stretch to take a 22-13 lead with 10:43 remaining on a three-pointer from senior guard Marquis Sullivan. Marist (7-13, 3-5 MAAC) would use a 17-7 run of its own to take its final lead of the game at 30-29 with 3:54 left in the first half. Wright scored the final six Loyola points of the half to give the Greyhounds a 38-35 lead at the intermission.

The leading scorer in the MAAC, Barney increased his average with his 22 points to lead the quintet of Loyola double-figure scorers. He added a career-high six assists to go along with six rebounds and three steals. Sullivan connected on five three-pointers as he scored 17 points in 14 minutes off the bench. Harvey and Wright each scored their 13 points in opposite halves and Rudolph finished with 11 as Loyola recorded five double-figure scorers for the first time since the season opener.

For Marist, Ryan Schneider and Lawrence Williams each scored 15 with Schneider adding a team-high eight boards. David Devezin and R.J. Hall both tallied 11 for the Red Foxes.

Loyola returns home Thursday night when it hosts Saint Peter's at 7 o'clock in a game being televised live on MASN. After that, these two teams will meet in the rematch in Poughkeepsie one week from today at 4:00 p.m.