Underclassmen Lead Greyhounds To 68-61 Win Over Marist

Jan. 15, 2010

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Freshman guard Robert Olson scored a career-high 20 points and sophomore guard J'hared Hall added a career-best 16 to lead Loyola to a 68-61 MAAC victory Friday night over Marist at Reitz Arena. The win ended the Greyhounds' three-game losing streak while the Red Foxes dropped to 1-16 overall.

Olson's fourth three-pointer of the game gave Loyola (9-8, 2-5 MAAC) a 63-58 lead with 76 seconds remaining. On the ensuing in-bounds, Olson forced a tie-up with the possession arrow in the Greyhounds' favor. Junior guard Brian Rudolph inbounded the ball to Hall in the corner in front of the Loyola bench and his fifth three-pointer of the contest pushed the Greyhounds ahead 66-58 with 1:11 to play. Olson capped his night with a pair of free throws with 8.2 left to close out the scoring.

"I'm really proud of our players tonight," Greyhounds sixth-year coach Jimmy Patsos said following the win. "Every win is a quality win, but for our players to step up when we were a little undermanned tonight made it special. It was a great team win and we don't get that win without our students tonight. They really carried us through some spots."

Loyola played without its top three scorers and lost freshman forward Julius Brooks 2:13 into the game after he committed a flagrant foul. Leading scorer Brett Harvey and third-leading scorer Anthony Winbush both dressed but did not play and second-leading scorer Jamal Barney did not dress and was not on the bench.

The Greyhounds got started early when Hall swished a three-pointer on the first possession and led 10-9 four-and-a-half minutes into the game before the Red Foxes went on a 12-5 run to take their largest lead of the game at 21-15 with 8:40 remaining before halftime. Loyola quickly tied the score on consecutive three-pointers from Hall and senior guard Tony Lewis with 7:42 left. A three-pointer from sophomore forward Shane Walker and a pair of Lewis free throws ended a 17-7 Greyhounds run and a 32-28 lead with 3:43 remaining.

Olson scored three consecutive second-half three-pointers to give Loyola its largest lead of the contest at 51-41 with 13:45 to play. But Marist scored 12 of the next 14 points to knot the game at 53-all with just under eight minutes remaining. A tip-in by senior forward Jawaan Wright returned the lead back in the Greyhounds' favor at 55-53 with 6:40 left and the team's played even for the next 5:24 to set up the final 76 seconds.

Joining Olson and Hall in double figures for Loyola was Lewis, who added 10 off the bench and a game-high seven rebounds. Walker scored just six points, but grabbed six rebounds, handed out four assists and blocked six shots, tying the sixth-best performance in school history. The 13 three-pointers represented a season-high and tied for the fourth-best single-game total. Of the nine highest three-pointers made in a game, five have come by Patsos-coached teams and four of them have taken place in Reitz Arena.

For Marist, San Prescott scored a game-high 21 points off the bench and Devin Price added 11. Dorvell Carter chipped in with 10 points and tied for game-high honors with seven rebounds.

Loyola ventures out on a three-game road stretch starting Sunday at Saint Peter's. Game time is 2 o'clock. The Greyhounds are home again on January 28 when they host Fairfield at 7:00 p.m.