Defense Stymies Fairfield Late As Men's Basketball Rallies For Win

Jan. 11, 2013

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - Loyola University Maryland men's basketball held Fairfield University scoreless for a stretch of 6:36, including the last 4:47 of regulation to overcome a late five-point deficit and defeat the Stags, 63-58, in overtime, on Friday night in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

The Stags (10-7 overall, 2-3 MAAC) led Loyola (12-5, 4-1), 47-41, on a Josip Mikulic layup with 4:47 to play, but it was the last basket the Stags would score in regulation. Fairfield would also not have a rebound for the remainder of regulation, as Loyola outdid the Stags, 13-2 on the boards in the last nine minutes of the contest.

Erik Etherly hit an 18-foot jumper the next trip down the court, sparking an 8-0 that would extend into overtime.

Two Robert Olson free throws at 3:59 made it 47-45 Fairfield with 3:59 to go, and Dylon Cormier tied it on a driving layup with 2:07 remaining. It was the first time the Greyhounds had pulled even since Fairfield went up, 19-16, on a Mikulic three with 6:05 left in the first half.

He hit a three on the Stags' next possession, as well, his last of four in the first half.

Fairfield, however, could not build a lead of more than six points the rest of the way.

Jordan Latham banged for a basket down low to start overtime, scoring 16 ticket in, but Fairfield's Maurice Barrow snapped a 6:36 scoreless drought with a layup at 3:21, but Cormier quickly put the Greyhounds back up two, 51-49, getting into the lane for a basket at 2:49.

Loyola turned back two Fairfield threes on the Stags next two possession, and Cormier added to the advantage with 3-of-4 free throws. His third from the strip at 1:18 made it 54-49 Loyola, but Coleman Johnson knocked down a paint jumper with 46 ticks on the clock to close the gap to three.

Colin Nickerson came up with a steal near halfcourt, but he was fouled and missed the front end of 1-and-1. The Stags got the loose ball after Nickerson's miss, but Derek Needham missed a three with 30 seconds left, and Etherly got the long rebound.

He was fouled and made both free throws to extend the Greyhounds' advantage to five. Nickerson took the inbound pass however, and went basket to basket for a layup with 22 seconds left.

Cormier made 1-of-2 at the line after that, and Robert Olson hit all four of his free thorws to secure the win.

Etherly led all players with 20 points, while Cormier added 19 and Olson had 12.

Winbush led the Greyhounds with nine rebounds, and Olson had a career-best eight. Fairfield led Loyola in rebounding, 33-26, with 3:59 to play in regulation, but the Greyhounds outrebounded the Stags, 13-2 from that point until the game's end.

Mikulic scored 16 to lead Fairfield, while Keith Matthews contributed a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Winbush also had five assists and two steals for Loyola, and Etherly notched three steals.

The Greyhounds are back in action on Sunday, January 13, at 2 p.m. in Lawrenceville, N.J., where they will take on Rider University.