Cormier's Three With 3.1 Left Edges Manhattan

Jan. 5, 2012

Final Stats

View on a mobile device

BALTIMORE - Loyola University Maryland sophomore guard Dylon Cormier had not made a 3-pointer in over 100 minutes of action during the last three games, but he calmly drained one from the low right corner with 3.1 seconds left on Thursday night against Manhattan College, lifting the Greyhounds to a 61-60 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference victory at Reitz Arena.

Shane Walker inbounded the ball on the far-side baseline and found Cormier open in the corner. Cormier set and hit the shot to put Loyola (10-4 overall, 3-1 MAAC) up by one.

Manhattan (9-7, 2-2) failed to get off a shot in response, and the Greyhounds held on for the victory.

"We had a play to get (Robert) Olson open, but they double-teamed him, so Shane made a great pass and found me in the corner," said Cormier, who's last three came 4:11 into the Greyhounds' game at Bucknell, a stretch of 115 minutes, 46 seconds of game action.

Cormier finished with 11 points, tying him for team-high honors. Walker also scored 11, as did R.J. Williams who's 11 were a career-high.

Walker put Loyola up 58-57, making 1-of-2 from the line with 2:09 left. Anthony Winbush forced a Manhattan turnover by Liam McCabe-Moran with 1:44 to play, but Loyola could not score on the ensuing possession.

Michael Alvarado created space just inside the free-throw line and made a pull-up jumper with 58 ticks left, giving the Jaspers a one-point advantage, 59-58.

George Beamon, who led all players with 18 points, blocked a Winbush shot and grabbed the rebound for Manhattan on the Greyhounds' next offensive possession.

Beamon was fouled, but the Jaspers' leading scorer made only 1-of-2 from the line, leaving the door open for Cormier's three.

Loyola had 24.1 seconds to tie or take the lead, but Beamon again came up with a blocked shot, swatting a Williams attempt out of bounds with just over four seconds left, setting up the game-winning sequence.

In addition to Beamon's 18, Emmy Andujar scored 12 for Manhattan, and Alvarado had 10.

The game was close throughout as neither team led by more than six points, and it featured 14 lead changes and seven tie scores.

Cormier made a pair of free throws with 7:09 to play, putting Loyola in front 54-48, the largest advantage for either squad.

Manhattan, however, scored the next seven points, and the Jaspers led 55-54 after Rhamel Brown's layup with 3:49 left.

After a 30-second timeout, Loyola responded to regain the lead. Erik Etherly took the ball on the low block and kicked a pass out to Olson who had flared to the right side of the perimeter.

Olson buried a three, his third of the second half, to put Loyola up 57-55 with 3:16 on the clock.

A Beamon runner on Manhattan's next possession tied the score at 57-57, but Walker's free throw with 2:09 left put Loyola up a point.

Etherly had a game- and career-high seven assists in the game, and Olson finished with nine points off the Loyola bench.

Although no Greyhounds' player scored more than 11 points, seven had five or more.

J'hared Hall made a pair of 3-pointers, his first of the season, off the bench, to finish with six, and Etherly scored eight points to go along with a game-best six rebounds.

"We had a lot of people step up tonight," Head Coach Jimmy Patsos said. "Our senior captain, J'hared Hall, made two important 3-pointers, Shane made a good pass on the inbound pass, and Dylon made the clutch shot."

Loyola wraps up its three-game homestand on Saturday when it hosts Canisius College at 12 noon in Reitz Arena.