Greyhound Rally Falls Three Points Short At Central Connecticut

Jan. 2, 2005

Box Score

New Britain, Conn. - With 6.9 seconds remaining in regulation, junior Charlie Bell brought Loyola within one point of Central Connecticut State with his arching three-point basket. With time running out, Bell went for overtime, but a questionable no-call left the Greyhounds with a 68-65 loss on Sunday afternoon at Detrick Gymnasium.

"I just hit a three and knew if I had the opportunity, I was going to tie the game," says Bell. "This loss really stings because thought we had a win."

Freshman Freddie Stanback scored six of Loyola's first seven points and the Greyhounds held an early 7-6 lead on Central Connecticut. The Blue Devils, behind a strong first half from Obie Nwadike, took a five point lead halfway through the first stanza, but Loyola quickly answered.

The Greyhounds stormed back with an 8-0 run, capped by Linton Hinds' steal and assist to a streaking Shane James, giving the `Hounds a 20-17 advantage at 7:06. The teams traded baskets for the next seven minutes and free throws by CCSU's Demario Anderson gave the Blue Devils a 28-27 halftime lead.

Central Connecticut came out running and scored the first six points of the second half to extend the margin to seven points. The Blue Devils held their seven-point lead with nine minutes remaining when Hinds cut the deficit to five points with an aggressive move to the hoop. His free throw at 7:52 pulled Loyola within four points at 51-47.

Trailing by four points with 15 seconds remaining, Hinds rebounded Brad Farrell's long three-point attempt, and with his follow, Loyola trailed 64-62. A pair of successful Blue Devil free throws put CCSU up by four, but Charlie Bell's three-pointer with 6.9 seconds left in regulation cut the lead to 66-65.

Lenny Jefferson, who missed a pair of foul shots only seconds earlier in the game, knocked down both his attempts with 5.3 seconds on the clock to seal the game for Central Connecticut.

Hinds finished the game with a career-high 18 points and led Loyola in scoring. Stanback finished with 16 points and eight rebounds while James scored 10 in the loss. Nwadike, who registered 14 points in the first half, led all scorers with 23 points.

"There's not much you can do now," says Hinds about the loss. "We have to look ahead and try to get a win against VMI."

The Greyhounds, now 1-9 on the year, return to Reitz Arena and face VMI this Wednesday at 7 p.m.