April 23, 2010
FLUSHING, N.Y. - The fourth-seeded Loyola men's tennis team fought off a tough Purple Eagle squad to live another day in the postseason. The `Hounds advanced to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tennis Championship semifinals for the first time since 2001 with a 4-3 victory over No. 5-seeded Niagara, Friday afternoon at the National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.
The women advanced as well with a sweep of No. 6 Manhattan.
The Marist men and women, the Nos. 1 and 2 seeds, now await Loyola on the courts of Arthur Ashe Stadium. The men will square off against the No. 1 Red Foxes at 9 a.m. while the women will take on the No. 2 seed at noon.
The Greyhounds got off to a strong start with a sweep of doubles to go into singles with the 1-0 advantage.
Keyan Sanai and J. Pierce Norton defeated Matthew Kane and Jeremy Quiroz 8-7 in No. 1 doubles. Kevin Zingler and Dan D'Agostino continued with an 8-5 win over Jordan Blair and David Sarrasin in No. 2 doubles and Matt McDaniel and Bobby Gorczakowski finished off the doubles portion of the match with an 8-6 defeat of Brandon Gallegos and Joe Zelic.
Norton, McDaniel and Jamie Russo came through for Loyola with singles victories to secure the win.
The women took the doubles point also by going 3-0. Rachel Janasek and Kerri Swan then played two tough matches in Nos. 1 and 2 singles but both prevailed with the tiebreakers. Janasek defeated Lili Johnson 6-2, 2-6, 10-5 while Swan downed 6-1, 7-6 (7-2).
The men will carry a 12-5 record into Saturday's match against Marist, who comes in undefeated in the conference (6-0) and 11-5 overall. The women are now 13-5 and their opponent went 6-1 in the MAAC and 10-8 overall.
1. Keyan Sanai/J. Pierce Norton def. Matthew Kane/Jeremy Quiroz 8-7
2. Kevin Zingler/Dan D'Agostino def. Jordan Blair/David Sarrasin 8-5
3. Matt McDaniel/Bobby Gorczakowski def. Brandon Gallegos/Joe Zelic 8-6
1. Jeremy Quiroz def. Keyan Sanai 6-2, 6-2
2. J. Pierce Norton def. Matthew Kane 6-7, 7-5, 7-5
3. Brandon Gallegos def. Kevin Zingler 7-6, 6-2
4. Matt McDaniel def. Joe Zelic 6-3, 6-2
5. David Sarrasin def. Bobby Gorczakowski 6-4, 6-3
6. Jamie Russo def. Jordan Blair 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
1. Rachel Janasek/Kerri Swan def. Lili Johnson/Stephanie Tsao 8-5
2. Andie Keyser-Baker/Joy Johnson def. Christina Puleo/Hilary Valenzuela 8-5
3. Judy Lite/Scarlett Hoy def. Nora Hulton Sacchi/Christina Ton 8-0
1. Rachel Janasek def. Lili Johnson 6-2, 2-6, 10-5
2. Kerri Swan def. Hilary Valenzuela 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Joy Johnson def. Christina Ton 6-1, 6-2
4. Andie Keyser-Baker def. Christina Puleo 6-2, 6-3
5. Judy Lite def. Stephanie Tsao 6-0, 6-0
6. Scarlett Hoy def. Nora Hulton Sacchi 6-1, 6-0