April 18, 2014
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The U.S. Naval Academy won the doubles' point and then took three singles matches in straight sets to defeat the sixth-seeded Loyola University Maryland women's tennis team, 4-0, in the Patriot League Quarterfinals Friday afternoon at Bucknell University.
The third-seeded Midshipmen went up 1-0 in the match after Mikaela Carlson and Noelle Kaufmann edged Megan Hahn and Olivia Ott, 8-7 (7-5), at No. 1 doubles. Earlier, Erin Snook and Katie Porter beat Katelyn Hissong and Ania Krawiec, 8-1, in the No. 2 match.
Porter opened singles action with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Tiffany Ash at No. 6, and Gabby Winter picked up a 6-4, 6-4 No. 4 singles win over Ott, and Sam Droop clinched the match with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Krawiec at No. 3.
Megan Hahn was leading Snook, 6-3, 5-5, in the No. 1 singles match when the match was called. Haleigh Morgus took a set from Darien Sears at No. 2, winning the second set 6-1 after dropping the first, 6-0, but Sears was leading the third, 5-2, when it was also called.
Navy 4, Loyola 0
- Mikaela Carlson/Noelle Kaufmann (N) def. Megan Hahn/ Olivia Ott (L), 8-7 (7-5)
- Erin Snook/Katie Porter (N) def. Katelyn Hissong/Ania Krawiec (L), 8-1
- Darien Sears/Sam Droop (N) led Haleigh Morgus/Emily Hughes (L), 7-6, did not finish - point awarded
- Hahn (L) led Snook (N), 6-3, 5-5, did not finish - match clinched
- Sears (N) led Morgus (L), 6-0, 1-6, 5-2, did not finish - match clinched
- Droop (N) def. Krawiec (L), 7-5, 6-2
- Gabby Winter (N) def. Ott (L), 6-4, 6-4
- Carlson (N) led Hughes (L), 6-3, 3-2, did not finish - match clinched
- Porter (N) def. Tiffany Ash (L), 6-1, 6-4