April 13, 2014
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Haleigh Morgus and Emily Hughes won an 8-4 decision at No. 3 doubles, but it was the only match victory of the day for the Loyola University Maryland women’s tennis team, as the U.S. Naval Academy defeated the Greyhounds, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon.
Morgus and Hughes teamed to defeat Mikaela Carlson and Cassandra Fishbeck, 8-4, but Navy won the doubles point with 8-5 victories in the other team contests.
Megan Hahn opened her No. 1 singles match with a 6-4 first-set win, but Erin Snook rallied to win 6-2 in the second and then (8) in a supertiebreaker third. Hughes also earned a 6-4 victory in the first set of the No. 4 match against Carlson, but the Navy player responded with a 6-2 advantage in the second set and supertiebreaker victory in the third.
The Midshipmen won the other four singles matches in straight sets.
1. Erin Snook (NAVY) d. Megan Hahn (LOY), 4-6, 6-2, (8)
2. Darien Sears (NAVY) d. Ania Krawiec (LOY), 6-2, 6-2
3. Sam Droop (NAVY) d. Olivia Ott (LOY), 6-3, 6-3
4. Mikaela Carlson (NAVY) d. Emily Hughes (LOY), 4-6, 6-2, (8)
5. Katie Porter (NAVY) d. Tiffany Ash (LOY), 7-5, 6-0
6. Audrey Channell (NAVY) d. Alexandra Billups (LOY), 6-0, 6-0
1. Snook/Porter (NAVY) d. Hahn/Ott (LOY), 8-5
2. Droop /Sears (NAVY) d. Hissong/Krawiec (LOY), 8-5
3. Morgus/Hughes (LOY) d. Carlson/Fisbeck (NAVY), 8-4