Feb. 22, 2014
SHEPHERDSTOWN, W.Va. - Loyola University Maryland's Connor Pietrak won a three-hour singles match in come-from-behind fashion to score the winning point for the Greyhounds' men's tennis team in a 5-4 victory over host Shepherd University on Saturday afternoon.
Pietrak lost the opening set of the No. 1 singles match, 7-5, to Chris Pratt, but he extended the match with a 6-3 second-set victory before winning the final frame by the same score.
He also paired with teammate Alex Castro to deliver a point in doubles play with an 8-6 victory over Steven Lesko and Will Wheatley.
Greg Olesnycky was a 7-6 (2), 6-4, winner over Steven Kolumban at No. 4 singles, and Jordan Kuchta defeated Lesko, 6-0, 6-4, in the No. 5 flight. Alex Castro score the other Greyhounds point with a straight-sets win, 6-4, 6-1, over Wheatley.
Loyola 5, Shepherd 4 -
1.Chris Pratt/Steven Kolumban (SHEP) d. Harrison Kunkel/Connor Lisco (LOY), 8-6
2. Grant Davis/Michael Lesko (SHEP) d. Greg Olesnycky/Jordan Kuchta (LOY), 8-6
3. Connor Pietrak/Alex Castro (LOY) d. Steven Lesko/Will Wheatley (SHEP), 8-6
1. Connor Pietrak (LOY) d. Chris Pratt (SHEP), 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
2. Michael Lesko (SHEP) d. Harrison Kunkel (LOY), 7-5, 7-6 (4)
3. Grant Davis (SHEP) d. Connor Lisco (LOY), 4-6, 6-4, (4)
4.Greg Olesnycky (LOY) d. Steven Kolumban (SHEP), 7-6 (2), 6-4
5. Jordan Kuchta (LOY) d. Steven Lesko (SHEP), 6-0, 6-4
6.Alex Castro (LOY) d. Will Wheatley (SHEP), 6-4, 6-1