Men’s Lacrosse Wins Patriot League Regular-Season With 14-6 Victory At Army West Point

WEST POINT, N.Y. – Loyola University Maryland men’s lacrosse outscored the U.S. Military Academy 6-1 in the second half, and the Greyhounds captured the Patriot League Regular-Season Championship on Friday night with a 14-6 victory over the host Black Knights at Michie Stadium.

With the win, Loyola (8-5 overall, 6-2 Patriot League) will host the Patriot League Championships. The Greyhounds will take on the lowest-remaining seed in a semifinal on Friday, April 28, at Ridley Athletic Complex. The Black Knights will play in the other semifinal as the No. 2 seed. 

Boston University qualified for the Championships as the No. 3 seed and will host No. 6 Lehigh University in a quarterfinal on Tuesday, April 25. The fourth-seeded U.S. Naval Academy will host No. 5 College of the Holy Cross in the other quarterfinal. 

Friday’s semifinals will be played at 4:30 and 7:30 p.m., and Sunday’s Championship Game will start at 1 p.m. All games will be shown on CBS Sports Network.

Army West Point (10-3, 6-2), which entered the game ranked 11th nationally, took a 3-2 lead with 3:01 to play in the first quarter when Cole Johnson sent a pass from point to Conor Glancy on the backside pipe for a goal, but Romar Dennis tallied a Loyola goal 50 seconds later, igniting a 4-0 run.

Dennis made a right-to-left run and ripped a 15-yard shot into the upper left corner of the net to start the stretch. The Greyhounds then took the lead for good with 12.2 seconds left in the quarter when Jay Drapeau initiated from behind and hit Alex McGovern cutting to the crease for a one-timer.

Drapeau finshed with four goals and two assists to lead the Loyola offense, setting career-highs in goals and points. Drapeau, who has seven goals in Loyola’s last two games, then scored the opening goal of the second stanza. He faked a flip to Pat Spencer behind the crease and ran topside on the right to duck in and score his first of the game.

Brian Sherlock made it 6-3 Greyhounds with 7:18 left in the second when he scored in transition. Drapeau caught a clearing pass near midfield, juked an onrushing defender and sent a pass to Sherlock at the top of the box. Sherlock converted a 12-yard bouncer for a goal that would give Loyola a three-goal cushion.

Johnson pulled the Black Knights within two a minute later on an unassisted goal, but Zack Sirico scored off a McGovern assist at 5:31. Johnson responded with a goal at 4:13, but Drapeau fired a low-angle siderarm goal from eight yards off a McGovern assist to make it an 8-5 Loyola lead at halftime.

Sirico tallied three goals and an assist, while McGovern finished with one goal and two helpers.

Sherlock scored the second half’s first goal 1:47 into the third quarter, spinning free to knock down his second bouncer of the game from 10 yards out. 

Army West Point scored with an even 10 minutes left in the third quarter as Avery Littlejohn caught a Nate Jones pass at the top of Loyola’s zone to strike from 10 yards out. That goal, however, would be the Black Knights’ last of the game, as the Greyhounds shut them out for the final 25 minutes.

Jacob Stover and the Loyola defense held Army West Point to 30 shots and 18 on goal. Stover made 12 saves in the contest, and the Greyhounds were adept at putting the ball on the ground. Loyola was credited with 10 caused turnovers, led by three from Jack Carrigan. 

Drapeau tallied his third of the game with 7;20 left in the third quarter, stretching Loyola’s advantage to four and starting a 5-0 run that would close the game.

John Duffy, Drapeau, Sirico and Pat Spencer all scored assisted goals in the fourth quarter as Loyola mixed in eight shots with an offense than bled time off the clock to seal the game.

Spencer finished with two goals and two assists, and Sherlock had two goals. Dennis tallied a goal and an assist, too.

Loyola had a 33-30 advantage in ground balls, led by a career-high seven from Carrigan. Graham Savio had five ground balls, and Sirico added four.