|Opponent||Boston University Terriers|
|Date||Saturday, October 1, 2016|
|Online Media||Game Center: Live Stats | Video|
Loyola Prepares To Host Boston University
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team hosts Boston University on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 2:30 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex.
Loyola Quick Hits (5-2-3, 1-0-2)
- The Greyhounds are currently 5-2-3, 1-0-2 in Patriot League play, which marks their best start to a season under head coach Naomi Meiburger, and the best overall since 2004, when they went 7-3-0 through the first ten games. That same year Loyola won the MAAC Regular Season and Tournament Championships.
- Mia Sardella and Casey McKenzie earned Patriot League weekly honors this week, Sardella earning Midfielder of the Week and McKenzie Rookie of the Week, a first for both.
- Jourdan Ziff, hitting the field for the first time in the month of September against Navy, earned an honorable mention nod from the Patriot League this week. She has scored three of the four goals Loyola charted in the last two matches, assisting the other goal which was scored by Casey McKenzie
- Sardella currently leads the team in assists with four, and is third in the Patriot League in assists per game. She charted her most recent assist in the Greyhounds’ victory over Monmouth.
About Boston University (2-10-0, 2-1-0)
- The Terriers have charted back-to-back shutouts the past two games, defeating American and Colgate, 1-0. Against American, the lone goal was scored by Rachel Bloznalis off a penalty kick, her first of the season and career third. The win over Colgate was secured by Jesse Shreck, also her first of the season and career third.
- In the first week of play, BU senior captain Bloznalis earned Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week honors.
- BU was picked to win it’s fourth-straight Patriot League title in the preseason poll. The Terriers won the Patriot League in each of their first three years in the conference and took the outright Regular Season title for the first time last season.
- There were a record four Terriers named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team, including PL Preseason Defender of the Year, Bloznalis, 2015 Rookie of the Year McKenna Doyla, Julianna Chen and Rachel Blauner.
Series Against The Terriers
- BU leads Loyola 1-4-1 in the series which began in 2009 and 1-3-0 since the two sides joined the Patriot League in 2013.
- Last season, the Greyhounds and Terriers met twice, once in the regular season and once in the Patriot League semifinals. In the first meeting of the season, BU handed Loyola their first PL loss of the season, defeating the Hounds 4-1. When the two teams met again in postseason play, the No. 1 seeded Terriers edged the Greyhounds out of the tournament with a 2-1 win.
- In their first meeting as Patriot League foes, the Terriers topped the Greyhounds, 1-0, at the Terriers home field.
Last Time Out For The Greyhounds
- Loyola tied with American on Wednesday, 2-2, both goals scored by Ziff.
- Ziff’s first goal of the match was a header following a cross by Morgan Crable. The goal was Ziff’s career third and her second of the season, the first coming in the match against Navy. The assist was Crable’s first of the season and third of her career
- Loyola was behind, 2-1, for the final ten minutes, before Ziff carried the ball down the field and shot it into the net with only five seconds remaining in regulation, sending the game into overtime.
- Loyola will continue their Patriot League schedule on Saturday, Oct. 8 when they host Lehigh at Ridley Athletic Complex. The match is set to begin at 7 p.m.